How Much Freedom Should Children Really Have?

This is one of the first questions new teachers ask.

Sometimes it’s asked with genuine curiosity.
Other times, with visible concern.

“How much freedom should children really have?”

What they are often asking is not about freedom at all.
They are asking about chaos.

They are wondering:

  • What if children choose nothing?

  • What if they make a mess?

  • What if the room feels loud or disorganized?

  • What if I lose control?

These are understandable fears—especially for teachers coming from environments where order is maintained through constant direction and correction.

But in Montessori, freedom is not the absence of limits.

Freedom is something children grow into.

Montessori freedom exists within a carefully prepared environment. It is supported by clear expectations, consistent routines, and meaningful work. Children are not left to wander aimlessly; they are invited into purposeful activity.

True freedom, in this sense, is the freedom to:

  • concentrate

  • repeat work

  • choose responsibly

  • develop self-discipline over time


 READ MORE

Are you needing some support with how to structure your classroom? As a Montessori teacher, I understand that feeling of overwhelm! I have created a detailed lesson plan to 'hold your hand' through each day.  These lesson plans can either be used to jump start how to create the rhythm of the classroom (monthly) or I have a full year plan that can then be used for a 3 year cycle.

Montessori Daily Lesson Plans 

Montessori INSPIRED Lesson Plans 

 

LOOKING FOR ART LESSONS FEATURING DIFFERENT ARTISTS? 

Link to my FREEBIES