How frustration can make us more creative

 

Frustration is what we feel when things do not go our way or when a task feels too hard. It is a normal, temporary emotion that feels like an inner itch or a blocked path, often showing up as a tight tummy, fast heartbeat, or a grumpy mood 
Body Clues and Triggers
  • Body signs: Tight fists, hot face, fast breathing, or stomping feet.
  • Common triggers: Hard homework, a toy that breaks, losing a game, or not getting a turn fast enough.
  • Naming the feeling: Saying "I feel frustrated" helps shrink the big, heavy feeling. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
Tools to Handle Frustration
  • The Pause: Stop what you are doing and take three slow, deep belly breaths.
  • Positive self-talk: Change "I can't do this" to "I can't do this yet, or "I just need a different strategy."
  • Take a break: Step away from the tricky puzzle or block tower for two minutes to let the body cool down.
  • Ask for a hint: Use calm words to ask a grown-up or friend for a small piece of help, rather than re-doing the whole hard task alone.
  •  
  • LOOKING FOR OTHER LESSONS FEATURING DIFFERENT ARTISTS?