There are Mondays when I invite the children into the classroom and I can feel it before a single lesson begins.
The room is louder.
The bodies are faster.
The nervous systems are not settled.
It is not misbehavior, exactly.
It is something more subtle — a kind of overstimulation that lingers from the weekend.
Children come in bright-eyed and buzzing. They haven’t seen each other for three days. They have been on devices. They have been off routine. They have gone to bed late. They have lived in environments that move faster than a Montessori classroom ever intends to.
And then they arrive.
And we ask them to slow down.
We ask them to choose one work.
To sit.
To focus.
To regulate.
That is not a small ask.
I have learned not to treat Mondays like Tuesdays.
On Mondays, I loosen the grip slightly.
I allow a little more conversation.
Are you needing some support with how to structure your classroom? As a Montessori teacher, I understand that feeling of overwhelm! I have created a detailed lesson plan to 'hold your hand' through each day. These lesson plans can either be used to jump start how to create the rhythm of the classroom (monthly) or I have a full year plan that can then be used for a 3 year cycle.
Montessori INSPIRED Lesson Plans
LOOKING FOR ART LESSONS FEATURING DIFFERENT ARTISTS?
.jpg)