Ask a Montessori Teacher: Should I Use the Pink, Blue, and Green Language System?

 

One of the questions I’m asked most often — especially by newer Montessori teachers — is about language progression.

Specifically: Should I be using the pink, blue, and green system?
And if so, how strictly?

A Montessori Way of Seeing is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.

This question usually comes with a deeper concern that isn’t always spoken out loud:
“Am I doing Montessori the right way?”

Where this system comes from

If you trained through an AMS program, you are likely very familiar with the pink, blue, and green language sequence.

  • Pink focuses on phonetic, CVC words

  • Blue introduces blends, digraphs, and more complex phonics

  • Green moves into irregular and challenging words that don’t follow simple patterns

It’s a clean, orderly progression, and for many children, it works beautifully. Once a child has mastered one level, they move on to the next. There is clarity — and clarity matters, especially when you’re learning to guide language work for the first time.

Why teachers are drawn to it

There is something reassuring about a system that feels complete.

When you’re new to Montessori, or returning to the classroom after time away, the pink, blue, and green sequence offers a sense of confidence: I know where to start, and I know what comes next.

 READ MORE

Are you needing some support with how to structure your classroom? As a Montessori teacher, I understand that feeling of overwhelm! I have created a detailed lesson plan to 'hold your hand' through each day.  These lesson plans can either be used to jump start how to create the rhythm of the classroom (monthly) or I have a full year plan that can then be used for a 3 year cycle.

Montessori Daily Lesson Plans 

Montessori INSPIRED Lesson Plans 

 

LOOKING FOR ART LESSONS FEATURING DIFFERENT ARTISTS? 

Link to my FREEBIES