Soul Stories: It's Who You Met at the Party

Photo by Simson Petrol on Unsplash


It’s who you met at the party…

The one person that I didn’t want to see at the party is here.  You shadow me and everywhere I turn you are at my heels.  If I get a business idea, you have a similar idea and excel at it.  If I decided to redesign my aesthetic, you know someone that tried that and had disastrous results.  If I get an opportunity, there are at least two or three others that you know who have gotten that type of opportunity and it was a sham.  Then somehow through a crazy series of introductions – some of which I am aware of but didn’t take seriously – you are now a member of my family.  Married to a dear family member.  And you as lovely as can be.  To everyone else.  And of course, I hear about what a lovely human being you are capable of being. 

And unless I become that person who wishes harm on someone out of desperate need to not have to engage with you…

So I walk up to you.  And I suddenly become enlightened.  The light I saw in your eyes leaves as I walk into your space.  And my soul protects itself behind a cement door.  I can’t let you into my heart.  Because no matter how much I try to understand why you choose not let me into yours.  And I can no longer muster up the energy to keep appearances.  So I walk away.  And I leave you in your space.