Soul Stories: Out of the Corner of my Eyes





Out of the Corner of my Eye

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a little girl whose eyes are filled with wonder.   A butterfly has come into her line of sight, yellow and light and just as pretty as it is free.  Free to move.  Free to stop, wait, stay, caught by my vision by not caught by this girl’s outstretched hands.  How peaceful her movements.  How carefree.  The sun glistening on its wings.  Kissed by nature.  Unhindered by the thoughts of others.  Does the little girl feel the lightness of this creature?  Or is she just captured by its beauty?  Does her heart soar to the heights she sees the butterfly reach?  Or has something touched her life and caused her to lose that lightness that a young heart should have.  Oh, I pray it isn’t so.  I pray someone has been in her life watching over her, taking on the noble task to hold her life in high esteem until she is ready to be able to take on the cares of this world.  From out of the corner of my eye, I can’t discern what all this girl has been through.  But I can see that for this small moment she joins the butterfly in its delightful dance.  And perhaps in this moment she is reminded – as I am reminded – that hope is the thing with feathers that perches on the soul.

Robin Norgren
6/18/18