Is it just me, or do you also think Bob Marley and three little birds go hand in hand. I mean of course. Birds elicit tranquility and song. And Marley... he is the master of Irie.
Did you Know?
- Close friend Tony Gilbert noted that real, bright yellow canaries regularly visited Marley's windowsill at 56 Hope Road in Kingston, Jamaica, sparking the imagery of the tune. [1, 2]
- Marley himself confirmed in a 1980 interview that the morning scene of birds pitching by his doorstep really happened and provided his creative spark. [1]
- Members of his backing vocal trio, the I-Threes (consisting of Marcia Griffiths, Judy Mowatt, and his wife Rita), firmly believed the song was written about them. [1]
- Griffiths shared that after the track was completed, Marley affectionately nicknamed the three women his "three little birds" on and off the stage.
I have many bird themed art lessons for you to easily incorporate into your classroom: CLICK HERE
LOOKING FOR OTHER LESSONS FEATURING DIFFERENT ARTISTS?